Since 1964, Wright Do-It Center has stayed true to its roots of a knowledgeable staff and friendly service. Founded by Jim W. Wright and Lawrence McMahan, and still owned by the Wright family nearly 50 years later, the store was originally know as McMahan & Wright Lumber and was established in a single-pole barn. This location at 208 South Williams Street in Murphysboro, Illinois is where the Murphysboro store still resides today.
In 1968, Jim Wright decided to go it alone and, with a fresh new look, Wright Building Center was born. The store has always been a family affair, with Jim’s wife Laura, father John, son Jerry, and daughter Kathy all having been part of the business. This sense of family is also prevalent with all of the employees, many of whom have been with the organization more than 20 years. The store expanded in 1984 with an additional location opening in Sparta and, shortly afterward, a full-service drive-thru lumber yard was added to the Murphysboro store. In 1994, Wright Building Center changed its operating name to Wright Do-It Center, reflective of its strategic association with Do-It Best brand.
A small business that began with a handful of employees has grown to two locations and over 80 employees. Jim admits he is not the brightest and school was something that did not come easily to him – but that did not stop him. He will tell you that he built his entire business based on everything he learned from high school football and his coach, Doc Bencini. Jim was part of the 1947 Murphysboro Township football team that holds the record for being undefeated and un-scored on. He feels that the success of Wright Do-It Center is the direct result of a spirit of teamwork and the talented employees who bring a positive attitude to work each and every day.